Thursday, May 26, 2011

Mech Heart Earrings

I loved the sundial necklace so much that I wanted to create a pair of earrings using the same tabbed/prong settings. These didn't come out exactly as I wanted. I'm a lazy jewelry and hate measuring! After I cut the prongs and riveted them to the back, I discovered the prongs were too long and totally obscured the domed piece I wanted to highlight. I ended up having to roll each tab in half then turn them in. I also chickened out on the bead I set in the center. Originally I was going create a balled end headpin and add the bead, then on the reverse I was going to melt the wire to pin the bead to the dome. I ended up wrapping it instead so you can see the piece of wire that comes up from behind. Oh well...I guess I'll try it next time.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

New Color Filigree in Stock

I just received a shipment in from a new plater and the brass ox color is different than what I've been carrying so far. It's a deeper richer color with more black in the color. It looks more like something that would have aged naturally. I am going to start listing the items but wanted to make a post showing the difference in colors. I've got 3 examples of the same item in the two different finishes. I will be calling this finish "Rich Brass Ox" in my listings in my shop.

I've also got a lot of oxidized sterling silver plated pieces that I will be listing in the next several days.


Saturday, May 7, 2011

Sundial Mixed Metal Necklace

It felt good to get back into my studio and make something again. It's been months since I was able to make anything!

This piece started out with a square hole cut out of the middle of a penny. I wanted to see if I could dome two pieces together. First I thought I would rivet the penny to the brass disc and dome them together, but I didn't think it would come out smoothly so I domed them separately and riveted the two domes.

I felt it needed something so I created a frame for it by soldering a large ring in 16ga copper wire. Next I wanted to see if I could join them without soldering the ring to the domed piece. So I cut another piece of brass and cut tabs/prongs into it. I riveted the center of that to a disc I cut out of nickel silver that I textured first. I lifted alternating tabs/prongs and folded them around the domed centerpiece along with the copper ring and it held it in place.

I originally made a narrow rectangular drop but I didn't think the proportions were right when I tried to suspend it from the bottom. I found a pair of earrings that I always thought came out too large and added one of those instead. The proportions looked much better.

I thought of leaving this one as is (raw brass and copper) but decided in the end to oxidize it and I'm glad I did. It toned it down and gave it a beautiful old look.

I've got a lot of ideas swimming around for the next project!